On-Site Classroom Learning
As part of the SW Metro school district, on-site classes at Lakeside follow the normal public school calendar, with classes scheduled 5 days/week, and normal breaks for MEA, Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays, and Spring Break.
Staffing: Two licensed teachers, Tom and Kyle, are on-site every day. In addition, the program administrator, Tom White, is often onsite to meet with the boys.
- Each teacher was carefully selected based on his specific work experience in traditional and non-traditional school environments, combined with his knowledge of addiction, mental health, and full range of learning styles and modalities.
- Tom White (Administrator) is an experienced clinical social worker and school administrator. In his role as Administrator, Tom’s focus is on providing special education for the highest need students that other schools cannot address.
- Parents have access to teachers by phone and email; detailed information is provided upon enrollment.
- The ratio of teachers to students is typically 1:10 or less, but fluctuates based on enrollment. The ratio will never exceed 1:15.
- The curriculum is a blended model, designed to provide dynamic learning experiences for students. This model includes traditional classroom training, online education, and project-based learning opportunities.
- Learning pace: The education for each student is highly individualized, and the pace of curriculum is based on each student’s abilities and personal learning plan or IEP.
- Complete intake packet to become officially enrolled in SW Metro
- Each incoming student is assessed based on current grade level, history, any existing IEPs, and his comprehension of reading, math, science, and social studies in accordance with Minnesota standards
- SW Metro will contact the boy’s home district to request records and history
- A personalized learning plan will be created for each student, based on his assessment results.
“Having our boys at Lakeside Academy enrolled as part of the local SW Metro school district strengthens our community. Being enrolled in a licensed MN school with teachers on-site who specialize with students who have substance use, mental health, or behaviorial issues truly means we can offer a “program of one” – a personalized learning plan and pace to match the needs of each individual student.”
– Jeff Dye, Director of Lakeside Academy