On-site Classroom Learning
Beginning September 5, clients in Lakeside Academy’s residential licensed treatment or behavioral programs will now be enrolled in the local Southwest Metro school district.
As part of the SW Metro school district, on-site classes at Lakeside will follow the normal public school calendar, with classes scheduled 5 days/week, and normal breaks for MEA, Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays, and Spring Break.
Staffing: two licensed teachers, Tom and Kyle, will be on-site everyday at Lakeside. In addition, the program administrator, Tom White, will be on site two days each week.
- Each professional was selected based on his work experience in traditional and non-traditional school environments, combined with their knowledge of addiction, mental health, and a variety of different learning styles and modalities.
- Tom White (administrator) is an experienced clinical social worker and school administrator. Today, Tom is a school supervisor for the SW Metro district, and focused on providing special education for the highest need students that other schools cannot address.
- Parents have access to teachers by phone and email
- Grades, records of attendance, and school schedules are available on Cynergy, the online information system used by SW Metro school district.
- The ratio of teachers to students will initially be 1:10, but this ratio will fluctuate based on enrollment. Long-term teacher-to-student ratio is estimated to be 1:15.
- Curriculum at SW Metro will be a blended model, designed to provide a dynamic learning experience for students. The blended model will include traditional classroom training, online education, and project-based learning opportunities.
- Learning pace: The education for each student will be highly targeted, and the pace of curriculum will be based on each student’s abilities and on his personal learning plan.
- Complete intake packet to become officially enrolled in SW Metro
- Each student will be assessed based on his current grade level, history, any existing IEPs, and his comprehension of reading, math, science, and social studies in accordance with Minnesota standards
- SW Metro will contact the boy’s home district request records and history
- A personalized learning plan will be created for each student, based on his assessment results.
“Having our boys at Lakeside Academy enrolled as part of the local SW Metro school district strengthens our community. Being enrolled in a licensed MN school with teachers on-site who specialize with students who have substance use, mental health, or behaviorial issues truly means we can offer a “program of one” – a personalized learning plan and pace to match the needs of each individual student.”
– Jeff Dye, Director of Lakeside Academy